In winter, your skin is exposed to the cold which dries it out; in summer you must wear SPF cream to protect the skin from the harmful UV sun rays. The rest of the year you try to find a balance to keep your skin healthy and hydrated but the allergies for pollen and the wind and rain don’t help your case much. My point is, you can’t leave your skin unprotected and not taken care for. The result would be not feeling comfortable in your own skin and that feeling is very irritating. So, how can you have glowing, radiant skin and before everything else, healthy skin at all times? Here are my 5 secrets.
Exfoliate Your Skin Once a Week
Daily showering is a must, regardless of the season. Never use harsh shower gels, because all you need is just a small amount of some natural showering product that will refresh you and keep your skin healthy. Apart from this, you must take time for an exfoliation bath at least once a week, so that all the dead cells of your skin are removed and all the blemishes are taken out. With exfoliation, you bring your skin to life again, after removing all of the toxins from the surface and providing it with all the moisture it needs.
Here is how to do it step by step:
- Fill your bathtub and put some bath salt inside.
- Get a textured sponge, a loofah or a rough washcloth for washing the skin.
- Get in the bathtub and relax for a few minutes, so that the skin gets all the wetness necessary for the exfoliation process to start.
- Start scrubbing your body with gentle circular movements beginning from the ankles and going upwards.
- Apply pressure only to the rough skin areas on the body, especially the heel, elbow and knee area. These are the driest parts of the body, so always pay extra attention to them.
- Rinse with hot water.
- Apply lotion or moisturizer but make sure it contains shea butter as it is one of the creamiest ingredients that have the effect of an immediate softness.
Use Lotions/Moisturisers/Oils with Natural Ingredients
It is crucial that you avoid chemicals in your cosmetic products as much as possible. Natural ingredients should always be a priority as they bring health to your skin and don’t damage it in the long run. Hence, you should always check the label and the ingredients of the cosmetic product you are buying. Make sure that the formula doesn’t contain parabens, gluten, alcohol, artificial fragrances, chemical dyes, sulphates and talc and it is full with vitamins, minerals and naturally found and produced ingredients such as essential oils.
Drink a Lot of Water
Your body needs a lot of water to be hydrated and to function properly. There are so many apps you can download that can measure how much water your body needs, but if you are not a fan of using them, remember this: an average of 3.7 litres for men and 2.7 litres for women: note the rule: 8 x 8 – drink eight 8-ounce glasses of water per day.
Water is about 60% of the whole body weight and we depend on water to survive. Without it, there is no chance of our body surviving here is why:
- Water helps us get rid of wastes through urination and perspiration
- It keeps our temperature steady in normal limits
- It protects the tissues in the body
- It lubricates the joints
Regular and Balanced Diet
Even though this comes at the bottom of my list, it is probably one of the most important habits we must have not only for having the perfect skin but also for our overall health and well-being. A regular and balanced diet means taking in all the nutrients that are necessary and enough for the body to function optimally and never having to fear that you will gain weight or develop some medical problem due to unhealthy eating. As a result, you will have a clear, hydrated and tightened skin that will fight fiercely against premature ageing.
Some Final Words
Always wear a smile on your face. Be optimistic and full of positive energy. Do things that make you feel complete, happy and energised. Inner beauty and satisfaction always show easily and the skin is usually the first to feel the results. Glow radiantly and the skin will too. Enjoy life.