When it comes to scenting your home hands down organic aromatherapy essential oils are the best way to go. But what is the best way to diffuse them?
There are so many choices out there it can seem overwhelming and if you are new to aromatherapy you may not even know where to start. Did you know that the type of diffuser you choose depends on which climate you live in?
Neither did I when I first got into using essential oils. In fact, I accidentally chose the completely wrong kind of machine for where I was living. I want to spare others the trouble I went through and hopefully save you some time and money with this helpful guide.
Benefits Of Using A Diffuser?
Aromatherapy diffusers are great for dispersing therapeutic essential oils into a large space such as a living room, office or bedroom. If you live in a small house or apartment you can easily scent the entire space. Other benefits include…
Improved Stress Levels, Relaxation, and Sleep
Dispersing relaxing oils into your bedroom or living room can help naturally reduce stress levels, improve your mood and help you get a better nights sleep. One of the best and most well-known uses for essential oils is their ability to help you chill out and unwind at the end of a long hard day.
While there are several other ways to get soothing oils from the bottle into your bloodstream such as a massage and body oil, a diffuser is by far the easiest and longest-lasting way to reap the many benefits of these magical oils.
Stash one at the office to help you relax during your lunch break or use a small portable one in your car. Have a diffuser ready to go with the push of a button when you get home from work in the evening.
Set one on the bedside table to help your mind and body relax so you can sleep better at night. Keep one in your kid’s bedroom to help them go to sleep more easily.
Recommended Oils: lavender, chamomile, bergamot, geranium, frankincense, patchouli, rose, sandalwood, ylang-ylang
Mood Elevating & Improved Cognitive Function
A great way to naturally boost your mood is with natural oils. Curb anger, anxiety, and even depression with essential oils. This may sound like too simple a solution but using a diffuser can quickly help you to de-stress, they can also be used to create an energizing or happy mood. This is not only great for when you’re feeling sad or depressed.
You can use your diffuser to inspire holiday spirits, to set a positive atmosphere for business meetings and social gatherings, to help you get moving on in the morning, or even to create a romantic atmosphere.
Another thing it can help with is improved mental ability. Stimulating oils can help with brain fog and sluggish thinking. If you need to be clear-headed and focused for a meeting or for taking a test, diffuse some oils beforehand so that you can operate at your best level.
Recommended oils: sweet orange, jasmine, rose, lemon, pine, sandalwood, vanilla, cinnamon, cardamon, grapefruit
Ward Off Illness & Detoxify Your Environment
Using a diffuser at home or in your office is a great way to keep colds, flu, and other nasty illnesses at bay.
Many essential oils are powerfully anti-microbial and antiviral when introduced into the air in vapor form, the organic compounds within the oils come into direct contact with airborne pathogens before they can invade your body.
Essential oils help to boost the immune system and keep you healthy. Some diffusers also double as humidifiers which will help to keep your airways moist and decongested so you are less susceptible to any microbes that do make it into your body. They are also great for asthma sufferers.
Recommended oils: tea tree, sage, rosemary, eucalyptus, clove, thyme, juniper, cypress
Best Diffusers For Dry Climates
If you live in a dry climate like in the southwestern United States – I’m talking to you California, Nevada, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, and Wyoming!
Then you will want to go with a humidifying aromatherapy diffuser also known as an ultrasonic diffuser.
- All of them use water
- They are Quiet
- Most diffuse up to 400 sq. ft.
- Most come with LED light options
- They are Affordable
- Double as a humidifier
- Use little essential oils
- They are usually made of plastic
- Not good for use in an already humid climate (can aggravate certain respiratory issues)
- Water can spill if knocked over
- The water tends to dilute the scent
- Can develop mold
As stated above this type uses water and will help add much-needed moisture to the air. This type of device can help soften and smooth dry chapped skin and help you breathe easier. Humidifying diffusers may also help with snoring or even sleep apnea.
Some excellent choices are –
VicTsing Essential Oil Diffuser
This adorable palm-sized diffuser is great for kids or babies rooms, yoga studios, massage therapy practices, offices, living rooms or wherever. The stylish wood grain finish will match any décor and gives it a very nice look.
The product dimensions are 5.1 x 5.1 x 5.2 inches and it weighs 9.9 ounces.
Features include –
- 14 Soothing LED Color Lights. There are 7 colors of mood light to suit various environments. Each color has two brightness modes (dim and bright) to choose from, so in total, you will get 14 colors to meet your different needs or moods.
- Nightlight mode
- Safety Protection and Auto-off. The diffuser will automatically shut off if the water runs out. So there is no need to worry about it burning.
- Three timer options: 1h, 3h or Continuous.
- It holds 150ml or 5oz of water and lasts about 5-8 hours.
- Very quiet cool mist
- Releases negative ions that can help enhance your mood.
- It also can help remove smoky smells, pet odors and provide fresher air.
- Available in 4 woodgrain finishes
- Backed by 45 days money-back and 12-month worry-free warranty
Arvidsson Essential Oil Diffuser
This diffuser is double the size of the one above and comes in a lovely forest metal design that makes this essential oil diffuser more unique and decorative which is nice.
It also uses ultrasonic technology that produces a smooth mist to purify and humidify the air, improving the overall air quality.
Features include –
- 3-In-1 Oil Diffuser/Humidifier/Nightlight
- 100ml water capacity
- 7 color changing night light, each color creates a special atmosphere for different occasions or moods
- 4 timer settings: 30 minutes. 1 Hour, 2 Hours or 3 Hours
- Silent operation (whisper quiet)
- Safety: Auto shut-off when water runs out
- Dimension: 3.6 x3.6 x6.25 Inch
- Net Weight: 1 pound
- Materials: Metal cover, Plastic water tank (BPA-Free)
- Ultrasonic Frequency: 2.4MHZ ± 0.1
- Input: AC100-240V 50/60Hz 300mA
- Output: DC 24V 500mA
- Water Volume: 100 ML or about 4 oz
- Working Time: 3-5 Hrs per 100 ML/4 oz
Included with diffuser:
- Power Adapter
- A Measuring Cup
- User Manual
- Arvidsson offers a 1-year warranty, which ensures that, if you’re one of the unlucky few that get a defective product, they will send you a replacement at no cost and with no hassle which is always good.
Unlike the VicTsing diffuser, this does not give off negative ions so that is the only possible con that I know of…
Secret Garden Essential Oil Diffuser
Check Price on Amazon!
This is a much larger diffuser that would be great in a big office space or home with an open floor plan (350-400 sq ft. to be exact). It has an elegant floral iron design that would look nice in a variety of spaces. I like aesthetics not just function when it comes to having a diffuser in my own personal space.
Product Features –
- Holds 500 ML or 16.9 oz of water
- Very quiet when in use
- Can be programmed to diffuse for 1, 3, 6 hours or until empty (approximately 10 hours).
- Set the diffuser to mist constantly for maximum aromatic fragrance, or to remove even the most stubborn odors.
- Set to intermittently cycle on and off for 15-second intervals to provide an entire day of aromatherapy.
- Multiple light settings provide you with the option of a beautiful revolving color spectrum including additional settings for warm white light, candlelight or even complete darkness for the most light-sensitive individuals while sleeping.
- Made with Medical grade plastic and ultrasonic technology provide a safe, clean method of aromatherapy without an open flame or heat while the humidifying process restores essential moisture to reduce chapped dry skin in winter months or to relieve dry coughs or other respiratory issues.
- Built-in sensors automatically power off the diffuser when the water reservoir is empty, no matter which timer setting you use.
- Owner’s manual and emailed PDF included that will help direct you through the easy to use settings and to cover essential oil basics.
- 100-240V power supply & cleaning brush
The exact dimensions and weight were not included in the description sorry…
Best Diffusers For Humid Climates
For those of you that live in humid climates, the last thing you want to do is add more water into the air especially if you or someone in your household suffers from asthma or other respiratory issues.
In the early ’90s, my parents learned this pretty quickly after moving my sister and me from California to Florida. My middle sister has asthma and had a hard time adjusting to the much more humid climate found in the Southeast.
So, while adding moisture into the air is helpful for the skin and lungs in a dry climate it is the opposite in a humid environment. Definitely, something to keep in mind when purchasing a diffuser.
A nebulizing diffuser which delivers the essential oils in the form of a fine mist without the use of water is your best bet in this case. These can actually be used in any climate and tend to be of high quality.
- No water or heat
- Uses an atomizer technology
- A strong concentration of essential oils is diffused which means it can run for less time
- Most models can diffuse up to 1000 sq. ft.
- More material options including glass and wood
- Some models can be a bit noisier
- Not all come with lights
- More expensive
- More frequent maintenance
- Cannot use diluted blends/oils
- Viscous (thicker and stickier) oils need to be paired with thin oils for diffusing
The best waterless diffusers are –
Utama Spice Nebulizing Diffuser
Check Price on Amazon!
This deluxe nebulizing personal diffuser is compact, quiet and efficient. It has a unique shape that is sure to catch the eye of passersby. Perfect for a nightstand, desk or other personal space.
Product features –
- Quiet and efficient
- Can easily “cover” an area over 400 sq ft.
- NO HEAT, NO WATER AND NO PLASTIC
- Does not off-gas, contains no VOC’s, pyrex glass contains no lead
- USB compatible – power from any UBS power supply (included), PC or even a laptop!
- Add a USB battery pack and enjoy the benefits of aromatherapy anywhere -from the office, in the car, or even at the park or beach!
- Natural hand-made wooden base and custom-blown glass reservoir
- Elegant white LED mood light
- Durable, low-power consumption electrical components.
- Features a low-energy cycle with 120-minute pump auto shut-off and mood light.
- Fully adjustable to instantly fine-tune mist intensity.
- Works ON for 2 mins, OFF for 1 in a cycle for 2 hours. At 2 hours automatically shuts down, but LED light will stay on though.
- Must not use thick oils or carrier oils. Glass reservoir requires simple, regular cleaning with isopropyl alcohol.
- 12 x 8 x 8 inches
- 1.1 pounds
- Power Supply: 100/240V 50/60Hz 0.5A
- Power Output: USB compatible 5V 500mA
Elegance 2.0 Nebulizing Essential Oil Diffuser
- Can “cover” up to 800 sq ft/ 70+ sqm)
- Uses ONLY pure essential oil.
- NO WATER to dilute the scent, spill or grow mold.
- NO HEAT to change the therapeutic properties of your essential oils.
- NO PLASTIC to leach toxic chemicals.
- Uses a whisper-quiet, ultra-durable air pump to naturally atomize pure essential oil into millions of tiny micro-particles your body can absorb quickly.
- Elegant LED rainbow-carousel mood lighting with built-in “touch sensor” allowing the user to turn on or off the LED light with a swipe of the finger.
- Usage cycle (diffuses for 2 mins On, 1 min Off, for 2-hours then shuts off).
- Made from 100% whole plantation hardwood painted with water-based lacquer that will not off-gas and beautiful
- Comes in 2 colors – Light Wood or Dark Wood
- Individually hand-blown glass reservoir.
- Organic Aromas® offers a ONE YEAR free parts & service warranty. Have a problem, They will fix it!
Products specs –
- Measures approx. 5 inches wide (13 cm) and 9 inches tall (22 cm, models vary).
- Works on 110-220v elec systems.
- 1.65 pounds
Opulence – Nebulizing Essential Oil Diffuser
- One-of-a-kind handcrafted black or white ceramic base
- The ceramic base is glazed with a glossy coating that is non-toxic and will not off-gas
- Beautiful, individually hand-blown glass reservoir in a shape similar to a wine decanter.
- NO WATER, HEAT or PLASTIC
- Made with a very durable air pump to naturally atomize pure essential oils
- Has a soft white LED mood light with on/off switch.
- Runs on a cycle – diffuse for 2 mins On, 1 min Off, for 2-hours then shuts off.
Product specs –
- Measures approx. 5 inches wide (13 cm) and 9 inches tall (22 cm, models vary)
- 1.65 pounds
- Works on 110-220v elec systems.
- ONE YEAR FREE warranty on parts and labor.
Other forms of aromatherapy diffusers that can be used in either climate are candles and incense. However, these two options are not considered as safe especially around children and pets due to the risk of fire.
I don’t recommend oil burners as these heat the oils, which changes their molecular structure. While using heat does help produce a nice fragrance it causes the oils to lose their therapeutic qualities.
What are some of your favorite scents? Leave a comment below!
Lora is a native Californian currently living in the Southeast. She is an artist, designer, blogger and nature lover. Her hobbies include herbalism, cooking, baking, creating DIY aromatherapy recipes, sipping wine and listening to music. She also loves to go hiking and camping.