With Fall right around the corner, I thought I would take a minute to go over one of the hottest trends this season. Deep grape/wine stained lips. Think, blackberry, merlot, deep cranberry, black cherry, etc. I personally love this look and would wear it all year round. It is so romantic and striking. But there is a trick to wearing a lip color this strong so that you don’t appear pale and washed out.
Guide to Wearing Deep Grape/Merlot Lips
- Keep your overall look simple. Make your lips the focal point.
- Wear bronzer and a neutral rose toned blush. This will give you a healthy flush and prevent you from looking pasty and washed out. This look is about adding some drama without turning you into the corpse bride.
- Choose a shade that is flattering to your skin tone. If you can’t pull off a really purple/blue based color, then opt for a warmer or more burgundy tone.
- Don’t feel like you have to wear a super dark opaque lip color. Wear a sheer/stained version if that makes you feel more comfortable and is more flattering on you.
- You will want to start by applying foundation and concealer. Don’t go too heavy, though. Your skin should look as naturally flawless as possible.
- Shape and fill in your brows.
- Apply a very light sweep of nude shadow across your lids and a deep brown or soft black liner as close to your upper lash line as possible. Smudge in so that it is barely noticeable.
- Curl lashes and then apply a generous amount of chocolate or black mascara.
- Do very light contouring with your favorite bronzer (i.e. hollow of cheeks, jaw line, temples, sides of nose). You just want to add that slight sunkissed glow and subtle sculpting.
- Apply neutral rose-tinted blush to the apples of your cheeks for a healthy flush.
- Line lips with a deep red or wine lip liner. Fill in completely. This is will help your lipstick last longer and prevent feathering and fading.
- Using a lip brush, starting from the center of your lips and working out, apply lipstick. Really work it into your lips for that beautiful stained look. Blot and repeat 1-2 times.
- *OPTIONAL* If you don’t want to use a lipstick apply lip gloss instead.
- Apply finishing powder only where you need it (nose, forehead, chin, anywhere you applied concealer) just to set your look. Go very light on the powder so you don’t end up looking cakey.
This is one of those colors that looks good on virtually everyone. It is soft and blends perfectly for the most natural looking flush. This is my personal go-to blush.
Get the perfect sun-kissed glow with these cream bronzers from Vapour. You will never look overdone or like you rubbed a Hershey bar on your face if you use one of these gorgeous shades. Perfect for a natural looking contour. I wasn’t a huge fan of bronzers until I tried these.
100% Pure Cosmetics Blush – Pretty Naked
This is another gorgeous nude-pink blush. It is a little bit deeper than the Petal and would work better for more medium to deeper skin tones. Great for the no-makeup look. Made with completely natural ingredients that are good for your skin.
Get the perfect hint of nude shimmer on your lids with Lunar from RMS Beauty. These shadows are super creamy and blendable. This company is also chemical-free and cruelty-free. I like that you can apply this with your fingers.
Honest Beauty Eyeshadow Trio – Sable Brown
Use this eyeshadow trio or something like it to achieve that perfect nude eye. These tones will add depth to your eyes without taking the focus away from lips. Your eyes will stand out and your whole look will be balanced.
This shade is described as a rich black orchid. It is a really pretty color. Deep but still soft and not too dramatic for day wear.
If you want a blackberry stain with slight brown undertones, then check out this color from Zuzu Luxe. It is semi-sheer and buildable. Very nice indeed.
One of my personal favorites. Semi-sheer and easy to layer. It is the perfect stained wine red. Perfect for those of you who prefer a more burgundy toned lipstick.
Add extra drama to your look with this gorgeous shade of rich dark purple. This will look best on cooler skin tones.
Honeybee Gardens Truly Natural Lipstick – Masquerade
Another stunning color that will really make you stand out. Can be built up for just the right amount color. Apply a light stain for daytime wear or go full-strength for a night out on the town.
As I stated earlier, if a matte or opaque color is not your thing or you look best in more subtle colors, but you still would like to wear this trend. Try a gloss instead. See suggestions below –
100% Pure Lip Caramel – Plum Wine
Vapour Organic Beauty Elixir Lip Gloss – Bitten 316 or Ether 328
Nu Evolution Cosmetics Lip Gloss – Erotic
Burt’s Bees Lip Gloss – Starry Night
In closing, don’t let the boldness of this trend intimidate you. Anyone can pull off this look, the key is to make your lips the focal point as I stated at the beginning of this article. Be daring!