With Fall right around the corner, I thought I would take a minute to go over one of my favorite looks. Deep wine-stained lips. Think, blackberry, Merlot, deep cranberry, black cherry, etc. I personally love this look and would wear it all year round. It is so romantic and striking. But there is a trick to wearing a lip color this strong so that you don’t appear pale and washed out.
Check Prices on Amazon!
This post may contain referral/affiliate links. If you buy something, The NMR may earn a commission.
Guide to Wearing Deep Stained Lips
- You will want to start by applying foundation and concealer. Don’t go too heavy, though. Your skin should look as naturally flawless as possible.
- Shape and fill in your brows.
- Apply a very light sweep of nude shadow across your lids and a deep brown or soft black liner as close to your upper lash line as possible. Smudge in so that it is barely noticeable.
- Curl lashes and then apply a generous amount of chocolate or black mascara.
- Do very light contouring with your favorite bronzer (i.e. hollow of cheeks, jawline, temples, sides of nose). You just want to add that slight sunkissed glow and subtle sculpting.
- Apply neutral rose-tinted blush to the apples of your cheeks for a healthy flush.
- Line lips with a deep red or wine lip liner. Fill in completely. This is will help your lipstick last longer and prevent feathering and fading.
- Using a lip brush, starting from the center of your lips and working out, apply lipstick. Really work it into your lips for that beautiful stained look. Blot with a paper towel or blotting paper. Do not use Kleenex or other facial tissues as this will leave lint on your lips. Repeat 1-2 times.
- *OPTIONAL* If you don’t want to use a lipstick apply lip gloss instead.
- Apply finishing powder only where you need it (nose, forehead, chin, anywhere you applied concealer) just to set your look. Go very light on the powder so you don’t end up looking cakey.
This is one of those colors that looks good on virtually everyone. It is soft and blends to the perfectly most natural looking flush. This is my personal go-to blush.
Get the perfect sun-kissed glow with these cream bronzers from Vapour. You will never look overdone or like you rubbed a Hershey bar on your face if you use one of these gorgeous shades. Perfect for a natural looking contour. I wasn’t a huge fan of bronzers until I tried these.
This is another gorgeous nude-pink blush. It is a little bit deeper than the Petal and would work better for more medium to deeper skin tones. Great for the no-makeup look. Made with completely natural ingredients that are good for your skin.
Get the perfect hint of nude shimmer on your lids with Lunar from RMS Beauty. These shadows are super creamy and blendable. This company is also chemical-free and cruelty-free. I like that you can apply this with your fingers.
Use this eyeshadow trio or something like it to achieve that perfect nude eye. These tones will add depth to your eyes without taking the focus away from lips. Your eyes will stand out and your whole look will be balanced.
This shade is described as a rich black orchid. It is a really pretty color. Deep but still soft and not too dramatic for day wear. Treat your lips to an infusion of beautifying organic botanicals including Pomegranate and Rose. Silky smooth texture and a moisture-rich formula feels luxurious on your lips and really lasts. Made with organic and cruelty-free ingredients.
If you want a blackberry stain with slight brown undertones, then check out this color from Zuzu Luxe. It is semi-sheer and buildable. Very nice indeed. Made with moisturizing natural ingredients that are certified gluten-free, vegan and cruelty-free.
One of my personal favorites. Semi-sheer and easy to layer. It is the perfect stained wine red. Perfect for those of you who prefer a more burgundy toned lipstick. The enriched formula provides natural, full coverage with a creamy and satiny finish. Made with natural waxes and emollients for added moisture and feather-resistant, long-lasting color. Gabriel is certified gluten-free, vegan and cruelty-free.
Add extra drama to your look with this gorgeous shade of rich dark purple. This will look best on cooler skin tones. Nu Evolution lipsticks are richly pigmented and are formulated with a nourishing blend of Castor Oil, Sunflower Seed Oil, Shea Butter, Coconut Oil, Cocoa Butter, Jojoba Oil and Vitamine E. They are also gluten-free and cruelty-free.
Another stunning color that will really make you stand out. Can be built up for just the right amount color. Apply a light stain for daytime wear or go full-strength for a night out on the town. This organic lipstick combines high-quality organic oils that soothe and hydrate lips, while natural mineral pigments provide beautiful long-lasting color. Properly moisturized lips hold color longer. Certified gluten-free. Vegan.
As I stated earlier, if a matte or opaque color is not your thing or you look best in more subtle colors, but you still would like to wear this trend. Try a gloss instead. See suggestions below –
This is actually a liquid lipstick and is very highly pigmented but if you apply one layer and blot it you get a lovely stained lip effect. This natural lippy is colored from fruit and achiote seeds, in a base of lip-softening pomegranate oil and cocoa butter. Plum Wine is a deep, purple wine.
These glosses are also quite pigmented which is nice because you don’t want your lips to fade, and look washed out. Features a pure and healthy formula made with organic plumping liposomes that lock in maximum moisture for naturally voluptuous lips that are never sticky or tacky. Contains antioxidants like Goji Berry, Green Tea, and Açaí Berry.
This is a really pretty deep red-violet shade that is flattering to all skin tones. A lovely non-sticky lip gloss made with natural and organic Ingredients such as cocoa butter, Shea Butter, coconut, castor and jojoba oil.
Another great option with just a hint of shimmer. It has been formulated with the highest concentration of plant-derived Phyto-Pigments combined with cold-pressed oils and a fruit stem cell serum. This liquid lipstick lays down the intense, vivid pigment of a lip stain and achieves a high-shine finish without feeling tacky or drying.
In closing, don’t let the boldness of wearing a really deep lip color intimidate you. Anyone can pull off this look, the key is to make your lips the focal point and keep the rest of your makeup simple as I stated earlier. Be daring!